Outside The Beltway | OTB Site Policies
Copyrights: All original material at OTB Media (Outside the Beltway, OTB News, OTB Sports, Gone Hollywood) is copyrighted by James Joyner and the post’s author. Copyrights to materials quoted from other sources remain with their original owner. Permission to quote excerpts is granted with the proviso that credit must be given and, where practicable, hyperlinked back to the URL containing the post.
Commenting and Trackbacks: Commenting and trackback/pingback capability is provided to encourage thoughtful discussion of the ideas posted on this site. We welcome open debate and viewpoints that differ from those of the post authors. That said, we wish to keep the conversation civil and the following policies, subject to change without notice, apply:
- Remember that the people under discussion are human beings. Comments that contain personal attacks about the post author or other commenters will be deleted. Repeated violators will be banned. Challenge the ideas of those with whom you disagree, not their patriotism, decency, or integrity.
- The use of profanity stronger than that normally permitted on network television is prohibited. A substantial number of people read this site from an office or in a family environment.
The following will almost always be deleted:
- Comments that are completely off topic.
- Comments, especially long ones, that are posted on multiple sites for propaganda purposes.
- Trackbacks from posts that do not link back to the post that received the trackback.
- Trackbacks from what appear to be spam blogs.
- Duplicate trackbacks to the same post.
- Comments that contain personal information about others such as home addresses and personal phone numbers.
- Any form of trolling, defined as comments that appear intended to send the discussion in a fruitless direction.
Additionally, comments containing too many hyperlinks will automatically go into the moderation queue.
Comments by other bloggers are welcome, as are relevant links to your blogs, other blogs, or media articles that relate to the topic at hand. Do not, however, simply use the comment section to post links to your site without otherwise adding anything to the discussion. Doing so will be considered spamming.
Each individual author is responsible for monitoring the comments to their posts, and ultimately determines which comments merit deletion.
Since the approval and moderation system is automated, it is possible that your e-mail address or domain will be placed on system maintained whitelists or blacklists. If for some reason you find yourself unable to comment due the anti-spam software please notify the editor and we’ll investigate.
E-Mail: The Publisher and individual post authors can be contacted at addresses listed on the Contact page. The content of these messages, including the identity of the sender, is presumed for publication unless otherwise requested.
Each comment and trackback to the site generates an email to the Publisher. Additionally, he receives numerous other communications related and not related to the site. The combination of these means he receives several hundred messages daily; he can not respond to all of them. This is especially true of pitches for links from other sites. He does endeavor, with reasonable success, to read all messages that get past his spam filter.
DCMA Compliance Notice: OTB Media will process notices of alleged infringement which it receives and will take appropriate actions as required by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the “DMCA”) and other applicable intellectual property laws. Pursuant to the DMCA, notifications of claimed copyright infringement should be sent to OTB Media’s Designated Agent.
Name/Contact Information of Designated Agent:
Dr. James H. Joyner, Jr.
E-mail: drjjoyner – at – gmail.com
Mailing Address: Provided upon e-mail request.
To be effective, the notification must be in writing and contain the following information (DMCA, 17 U.S.C., Sect. 512(c)(3))
- 1. Physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
2. Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online side are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
3. Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
4. Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
5. A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
6. A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.