10 WORST SONGS REDUX
The actual 10 WORST SONGS OF THE LAST 25 YEARS below. To be fair, I excluded any song picked by any entrant in the contest.
10. Blondie, “The Tide Is High” – Overplayed then. When was the last time you heard this on classic radio?
9. Bangles, “Walk Like An Egyptian” – Were it not for the serendipitious timing of this, hot girls, and the advent of video, you would never have heard this one.
8. Michael Jackson, “Bad” – Michael Jackson threatening to beat someone up. No apparent irony.
7. Culture Club, “Karma Chameleon” – This song introduced the world to Boy George. I rest my case.
6. Madonna, “American Pie”–I’m not a fan but the woman has talent. She displays none of it here.
5. Bobby McFerrin, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” – It would be easier without drivel such as this.
4. Ricky Martin, “Livin’ La Vida Loca” – Chris Rock once called it the Hispanic “Whoop, There it Is.” I rest my case.
3. Los Del Rio, “Macarena” – Aaaaaaaaaah. Were it not for the Al Gore jokes this later facilitated, it would have come out even lower.
2. Nena, “99 Luftballoons” – Turned back US-German relations 30 years.
1. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”–This song is simply dreadful. The lyrics are lousy. The signing is worse. And yet the critics love it.