Al Qaeda Video Shows 20th Hijacker (VIDEO)

Al Qaeda has released a new video what claims to feature the fabled missing 20th hijacker from the 9/11 attacks.

Al-Qaida has identified a would-be 20th hijacker for the Sept. 11 attacks as a Saudi operative who was killed in a 2004 shootout with his country’s security forces. In a statement accompanying a new video, the terrorist network’s propaganda arm identified Fawaz al-Nashimi, also known as Turki bin Fuheid al-Muteiry, as the operative who would have rounded out a team that ultimately took over United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed into a Pennsylvania field before reaching its intended target.

A 54-minute video featuring al-Nashimi was obtained Tuesday by IntelCenter, a U.S. government contractor based in Virginia. U.S counterterrorism officials declined to comment on the authenticity of the video and its claims. The video included a screen crediting the al-Sahab media committee with producing the message. While no one is known to have forged the group’s work, its statements are often difficult to verify. The video includes footage of al-Nashimi justifying attacks against the West. It also contains 27 minutes of previously unheard audio of a siege that he took part in on oil facilities in Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Screeching car tires and gunfire are heard as the terror cell moved from building to building. A voice in Arabic can be heard saying: “Where are the Americans? … Give me the information.” The demands are punctuated with more gunfire.

The video:

20th Hijacker This image made from an undated al-Qaeda video distributed by U.S. government contractor IntelCenter shows a man identified as Fawaz al-Nashimi, also known as Turki bin Fuheid al-Muteiry. Al-Qaida has identified al-Nashimi, a Saudi operative who was killed in a 2004 shootout with his country's security forces, as a would-be 20th hijacker for the Sept. 11 attacks. In a statement accompanying the new video, the terrorist network's propaganda arm identified al-Nashimi as the operative who would have rounded out a team that ultimately took over United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed into a Pennsylvania field before reaching its intended target. (AP Photo/IntelCenter)

It’s not entirely clear to me what propaganda advantage al Qaeda hopes to obtain from this release. John Aravosis thinks this is just the administration’s attempt to gin up more fear by reminding us of the 9/11 attacks but that makes little sense given that, as his own post acknowledges, Zacarias Moussaoui has been touted as the 20th hijacker by the administration.

FILED UNDER: Blogosphere, Uncategorized, , , , , , , , , , ,
James Joyner
About James Joyner
James Joyner is Professor and Department Head of Security Studies at Marine Corps University's Command and Staff College and a nonresident senior fellow at the Scowcroft Center for Strategy and Security at the Atlantic Council. He's a former Army officer and Desert Storm vet. Views expressed here are his own. Follow James on Twitter @DrJJoyner.

Comments

  1. Yo says:

    I think they want to tell the world that HERE is the 20th hijacker. Moussaui (sp?) is being held by the US is holding a man innocent of the charges he was convicted of (regardless, of course, that he’d admitted to it).

    It’s a bullsh*t ploy to make us look bad.

  2. Steve Verdon says:

    …as his own post acknowledges, Zacarias Moussaoui has been touted as the 20th hijacker by the administration.

    Ahhh…yes, but you see this is really a clever ploy to get the Administrations enemies to think the Bushies are incompetent morons, and once the enemies have lowered their guard, then the secret Rovian minions will attack!

    Pardon me, I have to go now. For tonight I’ll attempt to take over the world.

    Come along, Pinky.

  3. So John Aravosis believes that Al Qaeda is doing Karl Rove’s bidding. Is there anything that Karl Rove cannot do?