Bank Rescue: Dueling Headlines
Headline skimmers would get a very different picture of what happened yesterday depending on what paper they happen to pick up:
- U.S. Investing $250 Billion in Banks – NYT
- U.S. Forces Nine Major Banks To Accept Partial Nationalization – WaPo
- Bush: Treasury will take $250 billion stake in banks – USA Today
- U.S. to pump $250 billion directly into banks – LA Times
- Bush Announces Plan to Buy Stakes in Largest Banks– WSJ
WaPo is the major outlier here and probably gets it closest to right.