Beloit Mindset List, Class of 2014
Students entering college today have never worn a wristwatch and think email is slow.
Some that I find particularly interesting:
1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
2. Email is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.
11. John McEnroe has never played professional tennis.
12. Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry.
14. Doctor Kevorkian has never been licensed to practice medicine.
16. Korean cars have always been a staple on American highways.
21. Woody Allen, whose heart has wanted what it wanted, has always been with Soon-Yi Previn.
28. They’ve never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.
32. Czechoslovakia has never existed.
39. Pizza jockeys from Domino’s have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.
50. Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.
67. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has always sat on the Supreme Court.
I wasn’t aware that cursive writing had died, although my own ability to write in longhand is shot to hell. And, while I’ve all but stopped wearing a wristwatch myself, it hadn’t really occurred to me that the younger generation never started.
Hat tip: AP