Beloit College Entering Freshmen List
Most students entering college this fall were born in 1987.
1. Andy Warhol, Liberace, Jackie Gleason, and Lee Marvin have always been dead.
2. They don’t remember when “cut and paste” involved scissors.
19. Condoms have always been advertised on television.
39. American Motors has never existed.
54. They never saw the shuttle Challenger fly.
62. Tom Landry never coached the Cowboys.
70. Jimmy Carter has always been an elder statesman.
75. They have always been challenged to distinguish between news and entertainment on cable TV.
The original purpose of the list remains quite valid. It’s a struggle for even young professors in their mid-30s to remember that the memory of most of their students of political affairs and pop culture extends only four or five years.
College students are only dimly aware that there was another president named “George Bush” (Jan. 1993).
The 1991 Gulf War is further back in time now than the Vietnam War (1973 for the U.S.) was when I was a freshman.
O.J. Simpson never played football (1979) and, indeed, never got away with (1995) murder (1994).