National Driver’s License Nightmare Starts
The geniuses who made it next to impossible to get a passport are now set to do the same for driver’s licenses.
Americans born after Dec. 1, 1964, will have to get more secure driver’s licenses in the next six years under ambitious post-9/11 security rules to be unveiled Friday by federal officials.
The Homeland Security Department has spent years crafting the final regulations for the REAL ID Act, a law designed to make it harder for terrorists, illegal immigrants and con artists to get government-issued identification. The effort once envisioned to take effect in 2008 has been pushed back in the hopes of winning over skeptical state officials.
Even with more time, more federal help and technical advances, REAL ID still faces stiff opposition from civil liberties groups.
To address some of those concerns, the government now plans to phase in a secure ID initiative that Congress passed into law in 2005. Now, DHS plans a key deadline in 2011 — when federal authorities hope all states will be in compliance — and then further measures to be enacted three years later, according to congressional staffers who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because an announcement had not yet been made. DHS officials briefed legislative aides on the details late Thursday.
While I’m a small government libertarian type, I’ve got no serious heartburn with a national ID card. The Social Security Card has long been a de facto national identification system and one needs picture ID to do just about anything these days.
But the idiocy of this particular proposal knows no bounds.
- Which terrorist attack would this have prevented, exactly? Certainly, not the 9/11 attacks.
- You don’t need to be a licensed driver to get on an airplane or strap a bomb to yourself.
- Does anyone think al Qaeda couldn’t forge ID cards, anyway?
- We already tried this with passports and it went down in flames. What kind of learning curve do our counterterrorism officials have?
- Do we really want to put our counterterrorism in the hands of the DMV?
Propaganda poster: Farewell Freedom via Google.