New Air Force Unies
In early 2002, the Air Force chief of staff and the U.S. Air Force Uniform Board put together a uniform that met distinct criteria. It had to be better fitting, less expensive and easier to maintain, and specific to the Air Force.
Elmendorf is one of the nine testing sites for this proposed utility uniform.
The 200 Airmen here who recently participated in a fit test for the proposed blue, green and gray ensemble will soon be wearing the uniforms while performing their various day-to-day taskings.
Senior Master Sgt. Jaqueline Dean from the Chief Uniform Board Office at the Pentagon is overseeing testing Air Force-wide. According to her, the uniform has gotten mixed reviews.
“A lot of people are concerned about the colors,” Sergeant Dean said. “They want to know what we are trying to camouflage ourselves against.”
Sergeant Dean’s defense to this is that 97 percent of the Airmen today do not need to be in a camouflage uniform on a day-to-day basis.
“This uniform is for those 97 percent,” she said. “Obviously the other 3 percent, when needed, will deploy in a more camouflaged uniform.”
“On April 1, we’re going to be putting out a Web site that anybody can get on and give us their feedback,” Sergeant Dean said. “Anything you would like to see or think you need in this uniform, tell us. We’re encouraging people to get on this Web site and give us their opinions.”
Only in the Air Force. . . .
Seriously, this seems like a move in the wrong direction. The entire U.S. military should wear a common battle-utility uniform, since it would eliminate one logistical bottleneck. And, frankly, it should be desert camouflage rather than the Army-USMC woodland pattern or whatever this USAF design is supposed to be.