OTB Reader Survey
I’ve had several regular readers complain/mention recently that there have been a lot of longer-than-usual posts here, making it harder to navigate the site. I’m experimenting a bit today with putting most of the material in such posts, especially the ones that are outside the politics and national security topics that are the major focus of the site, in the extended entry.
Is this preferable or is having to click “Continued…” to read the posts more aggravating than simply scrolling past the ones you’re not interested in?
Update (1445): The early results, at least, are overwhelmingly against hiding long posts simply for the sake of length. I’ve restored the posts to their original length.
My basic practice has been to use the extended entry for one of two purposes: Surprise/effect as in caption contest results or to hide entensive background information. I haven’t used the former much since Rodney is running the contests. I’ve used the latter quite a bit. See, for example, the Al Lucas and Mitch Albom posts from today. In the first case, I’ve “hidden” some long background pieces and in the second the entry was incredibly long because I cut-and-pasted several entire columns for the sake of historical context.
Please feel free to continue the discussion below. I’m always looking for ways to tweak the site to make it more reader friendly.
OTB READER SURVEY
I’ve been fiddling around with the look and feel of the site for the past few weeks and think I’m about ready to stop. Of course, I’ve also made the switch to Moveable Type. Both with some considerable help from Kathy of On the Third Hand.
If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to note them in the Comments below. Some things I’m especially interested in feedback on:
* The fonts–Is the blog readable? It looks great on a new 19″ flat-screen monitor at 1280×1084 and pretty good on the smaller one at the office. Can you read it? Is the font too small/large/funny looking?
* Are the various lines, borders, colors, etc. useful in helping guide you through the content, differentiating quoted material from my own commentary, and all that? Or is it too much?
* Are the headlines for each post easier to read centered or left aligned?
* Some of my posts are long compared to those on other sites. Would it be better for me to utilize the Extended Entry feature and just provide a link for reading more? Or is it easier the way I have it now?
* Are the links on the sidebars useful? Could they be ordered differently? Does having the Recent Entries list help you, or is it just something to scroll past to get to the good stuff?
* Are there Moveable Type features that you really like on other sites that I am not taking advantage of here?
Feel free to mention other issues as well. Thanks!