Qaddafi’s Killers Will Face Trial, New Government Says
The leaders of Libya’s National Transition Council say that the people responsible for Muammar Qaddafi’s death will be prosecuted:
Libya’s ruling National Transition Council pledged on Thursday to bring the killers of deposed leader Muammar Qaddafi to trial, Al Arabiya TV said.
“With regards to Qaddafi, we do not wait for anybody to tell us [what to do],” NTC vice chairman Abdel Hafiz Ghoga.
“We had already launched an investigation. We have issued a code of ethics in handling of prisoners of war. I am sure that was an individual act and not an act of revolutionaries or the national army,” the top interim official said.
“Whoever is responsible for that (Qaddafi’s killing) will be judged and given a fair trial.”
Global disquiet has grown over how Qaddafi met his end at the hands of NTC fighters who hauled him out of a culvert where he was hiding following a NATO air strike on Oct. 20.
Mobile phone videos show him alive at the time of his capture.
In addition to Qaddafi’s killing by his capturers, there are videos on YouTube that indicate that the former leader may have been sodomized.
Another video shows Qaddafi’s son, Mutassim, captured, still alive and smoking a cigarette before his killing.
If this happens I’d actually consider it a positive step. Whether they can actually ever track the people responsible down is, of course, another story.