The Grill Bristle Menace?
Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) has called on the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to review whether metal grill brushes are safe for consumer use, after reports that some metal bristles broke off the brush and were swallowed, sending two men to the hospital.
Schumer said men from New Jersey and Washington State were recently hospitalized after swallowing metal bristles that fell off their grill brushes. He said that reports indicate that similar incidents occurred nearly a dozen times over the last three years.
Ok, I have no problem looking into the safety of consumer products in the face of a serious pattern of problems. However, to take two incidences and then back that up with “nearly a dozen” over a period of three years strikes me as a problematic cost/benefit ratio here (to put it mildly).
Assuming that we are just talking about the state of New York over those three years (although that is unclear) it seems that there have to be hundreds of thousands of piece of meat grilled in said state with a large number of potential bristles involved. If, in fact, there have been roughly 12 cases of people swallowing said bristles and having to go to the hospital I can’t image that there is a recall-worthy regulatory problem in need of attention here.