Beloit College Mindset List Class of 2011 Edition
What’s particularly striking about this year’s list is how incredibly lame it is. Indeed, some of the items could have appeared on a list ten years older. Johnny Carson? Or even Jack Nicholson’s Joker, which was a golden oldie by the time these kids were old enough to watch the movies.
These, I suppose, are mildly interesting:
- Humvees, minus the artillery, have always been available to the public.
- Rap music has always been mainstream.
- Russia has always had a multi-party political system.
- High definition television has always been available.
Some that I’ve been using awhile but that don’t appear on the list:
- They have no idea that there was once another “President Bush.”
- The phrase “Good night, John Boy” has no meaning to them.
These don’t quite fit the format but are nonetheless in the spirit of the list:
- Desert Storm is further in the past now than Vietnam was when we were in school.
- The show “Happy Days” is further in the past now than the 1950s, which it portrayed nostalgically, were then.