Iwo Jima vs. Iraq

Stephen Green has an interesting essay comparing the war in Iraq to the 1945 battle for Iwo Jima. The parallels go well beyond the fact, as I noted here months ago, that the U.S. suffered multiple times more dead and wounded at Iwo than we’re ever likely to in Iraq.

FILED UNDER: Iraq War, Military Affairs
James Joyner
About James Joyner
James Joyner is a Security Studies professor at Marine Corps University's Command and Staff College and a nonresident senior fellow at the Scowcroft Center for Strategy and Security at the Atlantic Council. He's a former Army officer and Desert Storm vet. Views expressed here are his own. Follow James on Twitter @DrJJoyner.

Comments

  1. lt bell says:

    this is just more of the propaganda war that the Bush Crime Family is fighting against America, first they paint themselves up like Pat Robertson and buy the votes of the christians, then they create a war in order to get reelected as a “war president” convincing the religionists that a vote for Bush is a vote in support of our troops, they now compare the failed war in Iraq
    to the victories of WWII to further sway their right wing nuts.
    I am a Veteran and I can tell you that no real veteran supports
    a president that puts his re election above our lives.




    0



    0
  2. I posted some historical revisionism about the Iwo Jima invasion.




    0



    0
  3. LJD says:

    O.K. 52% of the country are relionist, right-wing nuts. I guess that makes the other 48% whacked-out free-loading commies.




    0



    0
  4. AnjinSan says:

    Lets not forget that at Iwo, we were fighting against an enemy that had attacked us. A bit different then Iraq…




    0



    0
  5. LJD says:

    Yeah, Saddam has been attacking our airmen for the last decade, and we did nothing about it.




    0



    0
  6. anjin-san says:

    hmmm how many of our aircraft did the WMD man shoot down? and lets not forget what country they were flying over…




    0



    0
  7. LJD says:

    So the fact that no one was shot down washes away the fact that an act of war was perpetrated against the U.S.? In YOUR mind maybe, but not in that of the families of the servicemen (who you in the past have claimed such close connection with).

    You also forget the reason we were there, at the request of the U.N., enforcing the sanctions imposed, after Saddam invaded Kuwait. But hey, go ahead an re-write history to suit your Bush conspiracy theory.

    Your point was that we were not attacked; you were incorrect. You continue to make my earlier point about 48% of voters.




    0



    0