Rapper Big Hawk Shot to Death
John Edward “Big Hawk” Hawkins was murdered yesterday, joining a long line of those in his line of work.
Big Hawk, a rapper whose 2001 album reached No. 45 on Billboard’s rap chart, was shot to death, police said Tuesday. Hawk (real name: John Edward Hawkins) was a member of the late DJ Screw’s rap collective the Screwed Up Click and brother to rapper Fat Pat, who was killed in 1998. Hawk had planned to meet a friend Monday night but apparently arrived before the friend and walked to the side of the house, where he was shot several times, police said. He died at the scene.
Police do not have a suspect and their only lead involves a witness who saw a white compact car with tinted windows nearby shortly after the shooting, police spokesman John Cannon said.
Hawk, 36, was recently married and had two young sons.
He scored a regional hit with 2002’s “You Already Know” and was recently featured on the popular single “Swang” by Trae that included a posthumous contribution from Hawk’s brother. His 2001 self-titled album reached No. 45 on Billboard’s list of top R&B and rap albums.
I can’t say that I’m familiar with his work but, needless to say, 36 is way too young to die. The “rapper shot to death” storyline is, to pardon a pun, like a broken record.
Crosspost from Gone Hollywood
- Snoop Dogg Banned in the UK
- Rapper Proof Killed in Eight Mile Bar Shooting
- Busta Rhymes Bodyguard Killed Outside Video Shoot
- 50 Cent: President Bush Is A Gangster
- Rapper Cameron Cam’ron Giles Shot in DC Carjacking
- Snoop Dogg Uses Fame to Lure Youth Football Players
- Pimp-Turned-Rapper Saves America From Martians (Kate)
- Arabic Assassin Fired As Baggage Screener
- Snoop Dogg Peeps Fingered in Onstage De-blinging
- Snoop Dogg Rejected by Harvard (Robert Tagorda)
- Autopsy: Rapper O.D.B. Had Drug Overdose
- YOUNG, GIFTED, AND WACK
- 50 CENT TARGET
- RAP FASHION
- MORE SEX, VULGARITY, AND DRUNKENESS, PLEASE