The Press Conference
Believe it or not, I completely forgot about it. D’oh.
Plenty of bloggy coverage out there:
- Glenn Reynolds is bemused that WaPo had a summary of it beforehand
- Kevin Drum simulblogged and has mixed reviews
- Spoons missed part of it but had mixed reviews
- Blackfive thought Bush “didn’t do so well” and repeated his talking points too often
- Laurence Simon thought Bush was refreshingly candid
- Michael Demmons thinks Bush dodged every question
- Michele Catalano is impressed that Bush stood tough against an asinine series of questions
- Jeff Jarvis thinks Bush should have invited more bloggers
- Steven Taylor though the president did well but needed a haircut
- Rooftop Report hated Bush’s tie
WaPo has a transcript.
Remember Taylor’s Axiom on this one, though: It’s not the performance, it’s the sound bites. I’m very seldom impressed with a Bush press conference or speech even though I like him; the sound bytes almost always come out better than the “live” version. And it’s the sound bytes that get remembered.
Update: Robert Prather offers, “If he held more of these press conferences he would be better at them.”