Monday Morning Tabs
A true hodgepodge to start the week.
- Huh, imagine that. Via AL.com: US Army sees safety, trust, not ‘wokeness,’ as top recruiting obstacle. But maybe they are just saying that to be woke?
- The debates of our times (via the AP): New Hampshire students protest urinal ban in gender debate
- This is from a week or so ago, but it dovetails nicely with the recent proof that FNC knew good and well that the election fraud claims were false. Via WaPo: Trump campaign paid researchers to prove 2020 fraud but kept findings secret.
- I have been holding onto this for a while as well, as I thought I would write a post on what appears to be a general amount of laxness at the highest levels of the federal government when it comes to sensitive documents, but instead, here it is without further comment via CNN: Exclusive: Supreme Court justices used personal emails for work and ‘burn bags’ were left open in hallways, sources say.
- An interesting read from Dan Nexon at Duck of Minerva: IS REACTIONARY POPULISM A FORM OF FASCISM? DOES IT MATTER?
- A worthwhile column from Jamelle Bouie: The Relentless Attack on Trans People Is an Attack on All of Us.
The denial of dignity to one segment of the political community, then, threatens the dignity of all. This was true for Douglass and his time — it inspired his support for women’s suffrage and his opposition to the Chinese Exclusion Act — and it is true for us and ours as well. To deny equal respect and dignity to any part of the citizenry is to place the entire country on the road to tiered citizenship and limited rights, to liberty for some and hierarchy for the rest.