Teenage Rape Victim Will Not Be Held In Contempt For Naming Her Attackers
Savannah Dietrich, the 17 year-old Kentucky teenager who was in danger of facing contempt charges for identifying her attackers, will not be facing those contempt charges after all:
Defense attorneys for two boys who pleaded guilty to assaulting a 17-year-old Savannah Dietrich have withdrawn their motion that she be held in contempt for tweeting the names of her attackers in defiance of a court order.
David Mejia, an attorney for one of the teens, said now that the Louisville teen’s story has gone global because of a Courier-Journal article on Saturday there was no reason to continue the contempt motion.
“What could contempt do now?” Mejia said in an interview, adding that the boys names have already been circulated far beyond the original tweet. “Seems like a rather useless exercise doesn’t it?
Emily Farrar-Crockett, deputy division chief of the public defender’s juvenile division and one of Dietrich’s attorneys, said “Savannah greatly appreciates the overwhelming support from all over the world and we are pleased these defense lawyers withdrew their motion for contempt.”
Farrar-Crockett also said they are still looking to set aside the original gag order, as it was too broad and Savannah should still be able to talk about aspects of the case.
Dietrich had been frustrated by what she felt was a lenient plea bargain for the two teens who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting her and circulating pictures of the incident, so she tweeted their names and criticized the justice system last month.
“There you go, lock me up,” Dietrich tweeted in June. “I’m not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell.”
Good for you Savannah, for standing up for yourself.
H/T: Volokh Conspiracy