Politics is More Powerful than Tsunamis
A recap of the last day’s tsunami news:
- Nearly 70,000 people are confirmed dead.
- Sri Lanka’s government has turned down aid from Israel, preferring to see people die than accept money from Jews.
- Sri Lanka’s rebels would apparently prefer to see people die than defer to their own government.
- The U.N. is using the deaths of thousands to grind its axe against the stingy West, which backs 99% of its operations.
- Greenpeace is blaming the tsunamis on global warming.
- Atrios is using the crisis to make cheap political points against President Bush.
- The Democratic Underground blames the tsunami on Don Rumsfeld and the earthquake on evil American corporations.
- Daily Kos is using this as an occasion to make the same absurd point made by Atrios.
Clearly, politics is stronger than even Mother Nature.
Update (1313): A reader points out that my original Kos link was to a comment made by a reader. Fair enough. I’ve altered it to show a post made by the site’s proprietor.