Term Limits and Political Science
The literature on term limits is not a favorable one.
Some recommended reading by Seth Masket at Mishchiefs of Factions: Why Political Science Doesn’t Like Term Limits.
Masket notes numerous bad effects (with links to studies) created by term limits to include:
- They increase legislative polarization
- They decrease legislators’ expertise and capacity (which weakens legislatures and increases the power of executives)
- They don’t reduce time in office all that much
- They don’t reduce campaign spending
- They don’t increase diversity
More at the link.