These have been hanging around for a while.
Over the last several weeks I have been either very busy, on a lovely vacation to New England, or now recovering from my souvenir from that trip, COVID-19 (I’m on the mend). As such, I am just now catching up on some old open tabs:
- Via the NYT: The Beekeepers Who Don’t Want You to Buy More Bees. “There are now more honey bees on the planet than there have ever been in human history.”
- The headline is perhaps a bit over the top, but the piece is worth a read (via Salon): Lauren Boebert’s sexy adventure: Blame conservatives’ push for “traditional marriage”.
- This one is over a month old, but worth it. Via WaPo: Freedom is beer!
- This just isn’t normal and shouldn’t just be one more crazy thing Trump said (via The Atlantic): Trump Floats the Idea of Executing Joint Chiefs Chairman Milley.
- Via Pew Research: Majority of Americans continue to favor moving away from Electoral College‘.
- Via The Atlantic: The Young Conservatives Trying to Make Eugenics Respectable Again. I commend the piece in full, but will also quote the following.
There is no great mystery as to why eugenics has exerted such a magnetic attraction on the wealthy. From god emperors, through the divine right of kings, to social Darwinism, the rich have always sought an uncontestable explanation for why they have so much more money and power than everyone else. In a modern, relatively secular nation whose inequalities of race and class have been shaped by slavery and its legacies, the justifications tend toward the pseudoscience of an unalterable genetic aristocracy with white people at the top and Black people at the bottom.