Romney: ‘No One Ever Asked to See My Birth Certificate’
Mitt Romney needs a new joke writer, stat.
USA Today (“Romney makes birth certificate joke“):
During an appearance in his native Michigan today, Mitt Romney said: “No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate — they know that this was the place we were born and raised.”
Probably because he’s a white guy whose dad was president of an auto company and a state governor?
This has, naturally, already spawned a Twitter hashtag: #futuremittjokes. Among the better ones thus far:
- “No one ever tells me how articulate I am.” – Jamelle Bouie
- “No one has ever left a noose on my door!” – Jamelle Bouie
- “No one calls me an affirmative action hire.” – Jamelle Bouie
- “Nobody’s ever tried to arrest me for entering my own home, they know this mansion is where I live.” – Hayes Brown
- “I’m never stopped by the police while driving one of my Cadillacs.” – Lawscribe
- “When I’m in a restaurant or a store, no one ever just assumes I work there.” – Adam Serwer
In the grand scheme of thing, no big deal. But it’s been one unforced error after another these last few days.