George Zimmerman Granted $1 Million Bond
After weeks where he sat in jail after his bond was revoked for not disclosing assets in his original bond hearing, Trayvon Marton shooting suspect George Zimmerman will likely be free pending trial once again:
SANFORD, Florida (Reuters) – A Florida judge set bond at $1 million on Thursday for George Zimmerman, the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin.
Zimmerman had been released after posting $150,000 bond but was sent back to jail in April after prosecutors alleged he misled the court about his finances.
Circuit Judge Kennedy Lester said the higher bond amount was necessary to ensure Zimmerman would show up for trial on second-degree murder charges.
“The increased bail is not a punishment; It is meant to allay this court’s concern that the defendant intended to flee the jurisdiction and a lesser amount would not ensure his presence in court,” Lester wrote in his eight-page order.
The judge imposed numerous restrictions. He said that if released from jail again, Zimmerman must submit to electronic monitoring, remain in Seminole County, stay away from the Orlando-Sanford International Airport, refrain from applying for a passport or opening or maintaining a bank account, avoid alcohol and obey a curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Zimmerman is charged in the February 26 shooting death of 17-year-old Martin in a gated community in the central Florida city of Sanford.
Zimmerman’s lawyer said that his client’s defense fund has close to $210,000 in it, which means it should be relatively easy for him to post the 10% down that most bonding companies require in a relatively short amount of time.